Florida Drunk Driving Defense: Ignition Interlock for Second Offenses

When you are convicted of a DUI in the state of Florida, you may lose your license for a certain period of time. How long you could be without your license may depend on the Florida drunk driving defense attorney who handled your case as well as other independent factors of the case. After your license suspension period is up, you may be able to have your license reinstated. You may, however, only be able to do so on a limited basis in some cases, for instance only to drive to and from work or in other cases, you may have to have an ignition interlock device installed on your car.

The details of the device and what it means for you can be explained more fully by a Florida drunk driving defense lawyer, however it is fairly simple. For every car that you own, either by yourself or with another person, will have to have one of these devices installed on it. If you own or co-own five cars, you will have to have five interlock devices.

While the Florida drunk driving defense attorney may be able to get your case reduced somewhat, there may be no hope for the loss of license or the need to have an ignition interlock device installed. You are likely to have the court order for one if you are convicted of a first offense with a blood alcohol level of .20 or more or if there is a minor in the car or for a second offense. The length of time that you will have the device will vary, but during its use you will have to pay not only for its installation but the monthly calibration as well. This must be done by appointment and takes about 45 minutes each time. The cost is $170 ($100 deposit, $70 installation) plus $67.50 each month for monitoring and calibration.

This can be explained to you by your Florida drunk driving defense attorney, who will also help you file the papers that explain why you cannot afford to pay this. In some cases the amount will be taken from some of the fines that you have paid. The interlock device is meant to keep those who might be repeat offenders from re-offending.